Monday, June 9, 2014

Words

James 3:1-2 (NKJV)
My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.


Recently, I have run into quite a large number of God’s sheep who have been on a long sojourn looking for a “new” church. When I build up enough relationship to ask them the difficult question of what motivated them to look for a new place to worship God I generally hear stories of how they were somehow disenfranchised and disillusioned by their previous church experience. Very often the finger is pointed at a pastor. “Yikes!!” As a pastor myself, the first thought in my head is I wonder how many people have been driven away through the years, because of my poor behavior or lack of wisdom. You must understand, I have been the pastor where people left looking for greener pastures. What role did I play in their decision?

James tells us that being a teacher or a spiritual leader in the Church is not a position to be taken lightly! As a teacher/pastor I should expect a stricter judgment…from God. Double “Yikes!!!” I need to ask myself some serious questions: “Am I really called by God to be a spiritual leader?” “What is my responsibility to the people God places under my care?” “Should I have pursued another career?”

Very often the offense that blows someone out the back door deals with things spoken. My mouth has the potential to be a real source of offense and emotional pain. Sometimes I’m just being defensive and reacting to a criticism or unkind word—but, flinging back unkind words is simply fighting fire with fire. If the goal is to burn down the work of God this is a brilliant strategy; however, if building the Kingdom of God is of great worth, time to tame the tongue!

As I honestly look into the mirror I can honestly tell you that this pastor is flawed. Knowing that I shall receive a stricter judgment I pray that I will respond to God’s flock with a much larger dose of mercy and a double load of grace. After-all, all things being equal, God has not given me what I deserve…Bless His Holy Name!

Prayer: Dear Father—I humble myself before You with the knowledge that I have not represented You well. I am the servant who has been forgiven much and so, I should also forgive. May I see people as You see them. May I have a measure of Your compassion and be filled with empathy and a desire to bring healing. Put a guard on my mouth and may the words of my mouth be pleasing unto You. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment