Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Poor in Spirit

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven."  Matt 5:3 (NKJV)

Most people want to go to heaven.  (I heard someone recently say that they did not believe in heaven, but if there was a heaven, they wanted to go there)  What does it take to secure my arrival on that celestial shore and what is the main obstacle that blocks my passage?  The answer is found in the first Beatitude.  It deals with the condition of my spirit.  I will inherit the kingdom of heaven if I am poor in spirit.  Being poor in spirit has nothing to do with poverty and has everything to do with being humble.

Here are some questions to consider that will help you check the level of humility level in your heart:

1. Do I willingly submit to the teaching of the Bible, or do I trust in my own intellect?
2. Do I consider myself better than others or do I put their needs before my own?
3. Am I open to God's discipline and willing to change?
4. Do I trust in God more than myself and am I willing to submit to His will?

When we trust in God and "lean not on our own understanding," it means that there exists within our spirit an abiding humility that allows us to hear and follow God as He leads us.  Humility ultimately leads us to a place where God is in control of our lives, and it allows God to embrace us and take us home to be with Him in the kingdom of heaven.

Prayer: "Heavenly Father, I know that You are good and have demonstrated  Your love to me time and time again.  Thank you for treating me with grace and not giving me what I deserve.  As I approach today, I pray that you would give me the spiritual strength to live every moment of this day for You.  May I fulfill your Kingdom purposes and walk according to Your will and not my own."   Amen    

No comments:

Post a Comment