Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Strength Under Control

"Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth." Matt 5:5 (NKJV)

I have to admit that I pretty much "hate" the way Jesus is portrayed in most Hollywood productions.  He is usually portrayed as being out of touch, eccentric, strange and weak.  Kind of like a flower child from the late 60's.  Too often, this is our idea of what it means to be meek.  Meek may rhyme with weak, but do not mistake one for the other.

Meekness is strength under control.  It is the combination of a courageous heart and a gentle touch.  In the sermon on the mount, Jesus gave His followers a lesson in what it means to be meek.  38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. 43 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you." Matt 5:38-44 (NKJV)

"Jesus, are you kidding me?"  Most of us get bent out of shape when another person dares to trample on our rights.  Let me suggest that Jesus is calling us to a higher plane of understanding.  That we do not live for ourselves, but live and act as representatives of God's Kingdom.  Meekness sets us apart, because most people are too self-centered to put this Kingdom principle into action.   As you face each day with strength and gentleness you will change your world.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, blessed be Your name.  May I always remember how gracious You have been to me and in turn, demonstrate the same kind of graciousness to others.  For those that have hurt me; give me the capacity to forgive them,  and then fill me with the capacity to love them.  Set me apart for Your purposes today as I endeavor to walk in meekness."  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment