Friday, July 12, 2013

Ruth's Oath

"Entreat me not to leave you, Or to turn back from following after you; For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, And there will I be buried. The Lord do so to me, and more also, If anything but death parts you and me." Ruth 1:16-17 (NKJV)

I am of the opinion that it might be easier to die for someone rather than to live for them. Let me explain what I mean. It is a part of human nature to be in control of one's destiny and life. To give up our freedom and to fully commit your life to another is neither easy or natural. Essentially, it is the vow we make when we enter into the covenant of marriage, but too often the vows that we speak so freely are much more challenging to live out.

Ruth made such a covenant with her mother-in-law. Ruth's husband had passed away and her mother-in-law, Naomi, decided to journey back to her own land and people. Naomi strongly urged Ruth to go home to her own people--to get remarried and to get a fresh start in life; but, Ruth was committed to her mother-in-law--and so, she made a solemn vow: "Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you stay, I will stay; Your people will be my people; and your God will be my God; where you die, I will die; and where you are buried, I will be buried." Talk about an awesome oath!

Ruth made good on her promise... She followed through with the oath she made to Naomi. In doing so Ruth demonstrated a rare humility, putting the need of another person before her own. To consider another person's life so important, that you give up your own destiny in order to support them is very Christlike. I admire Ruth--she is the kind of person I aspire to be. A real friend to my friends--a selfless husband for my wife--a father who goes the second mile for his children--a pastor who empathizes with the needs of the flock--a Believer who denies himself, picks up his cross and follows Jesus. Time to narrow the gap of who I am and who God wants me to be!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I know that I am not that awesome of a person. I am often humiliated by my own behavior and the great measure by which I fall short of Your glory. But, I aspire to be a better person--knowing that You are the answer. Lord, fill me up with more of You and squeeze out the selfish attitudes that need to leave. Lord, make me more like You! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment