Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Smarter than God?

My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands; For length of days and long life And peace they will add to you. Prov 3:1-2 (NKJV)

Wisdom starts with this understanding: "I am not smarter than God!" (And neither are you!) One would think that everyone would understand this truth, but we live in a world that is full of itself, and of intellectual pride that believes itself to be enlightened beyond the "primitive" thinking found in the Bible. Thus far, such intellectual audacity has only proved man's pride to be nothing more than folly.

One truth that was established at the dawn of man's creation is that man was created to be gender specific. What does that mean? That mankind is divided by gender to be either male or female. No sane person would dispute this truth and yet there are political and philosophical blocks within our culture that have been pushing for a gender-less society. Meaning that male and female should be viewed as virtually the same. If I was to suggest to these well-meaning folks that the genders are different, but equal--they would disagree with that assessment.

As our culture, in its great wisdom, (sarcasm) has embraced the idea of a gender-less society, what has been the result? Increased gender confusion--men fathering children without serving their children as fathers--more single parent homes--more women in the work force outside the home--increased divorce rates--lower marriage rates--more children born into poverty--and a general breakdown of the traditional family. It could be argued--with statistical support--that the wisdom of man has led us to the brink of disaster as our culture has embraced this enlightened thinking. It is just one of many examples of how thinking that we are smarter than God WILL lead to destruction.

Please hang on to this truth concerning God's wisdom and commandments: He wrote them for our good. You can kick against them--rebel against them--turn away from them; but in every case, society loses when left to its own devices, because God is smarter than man.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, just like the typical man--I often act in ways that indicate that pride is somehow trapped in my heart and in control of my decisions. I hope to humble myself before You are forced to step in and intervene. I acknowledge that You are superior in every conceivable way, starting with wisdom. May I obey You and walk according to Your Word. Lord, do not let me lean on my own understanding, but send Your Spirit to challenge the vanity of my thinking patterns and intellect. Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment