Friday, February 22, 2013

Good Shepherd

I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. John 10:9-11 (NKJV)

With the arrival of a new child or grandchild (as is the case for me) I find myself once again evaluating the meaning of life. At least as it applies to me and those that I deeply care about. What do I care about in life? What legacy do I want to pass down to my children and grandchildren? What can I do to assist this new grandchild in facing the challenges of life?

Several years ago I was listening to Dr. James Dobson talk about his God-given responsibility as a parent. Here is the gist of what he said. "When I became a parent my number one priority in life was to do everything within my power to pass my faith and Christian heritage to that child." I feel the weight of that conviction! Someone outside the Christian faith might ask,"Why is that so important to you?" My answer: "Because I want my children and grandchildren to experience the abundant life that is available in Christ Jesus."

At this point in life I am focused on my grandchildren. How can I not be concerned given the nature of the world and the general state of man? I am also faced with my own shortcomings and the fact that I do not have the power to insure the physical and spiritual safety of those that I love; However, I do know of One who has the power to watch over my children and grandchildren, even after I have bid this world adieu. He is the Good Shepherd, which means that He takes GOOD care of all the sheep that are in His care. So, I am going to do all that I can to introduce Charli to Jesus and I am entrusting her life to the Good Shepard who is promising her an abundant life.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I have indeed tasted that the Lord is good! That is my life experience. There is no doubt as to why I want my children and grandchildren to experience a deep relationship with You; For You are the rock--the only rock worth building a life upon. Considering the short time we all have in this present life, all of mankind is wishing for more and You have delivered. In You we have life--more abundantly, more victoriously, forevermore! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment