Thursday, February 28, 2013

Ego

As I urged you when I went into Macedonia--remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine, nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk, desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm. 1 Tim 1:3-7 (NKJV)

It seems as if Paul was continually battling against false teachers and the new winds of doctrine that had a habit of invading the church. (A fight--I might add--that is still being fought today) While writing to Timothy, Paul gave us an inside look at the motivation of the false teachers involved. Why would someone teach false doctrine? What would motivate a teacher to stray from the obvious truth? There is a word that explains it all. "Ego." The ego wants to be stroked, adored, revered, exalted and ultimately worshiped. When the engine of pride is fully engaged, the false teacher believes their own press and as the ego grows they are dazzled by their own accomplishments and ultimately deceived.

The need for Godly humility should never be underestimated. The greater success that a teacher achieves--the more followers that they influence--the more accolades...the greater the temptation to fall into pride. Why does the false teacher engage in controversy, purposely teaching that which causes disputes and polarizes Believers into different camps of theological thought? They want people to exclusively follow and listen to them. They want to be the Big Cheese, the Big Kahuna, the Guru, the Teacher, possibly the first Prophet of a new cult.

Contrast this attitude with that of the humble teacher. The faith of a humble teacher is sincere; meaning, it is all about pointing people to God and not about rounding up followers that exclusively follow them. The humble teacher has a pure heart with no hidden agenda or dark motivation. The humble teacher has a good conscience; meaning, they are not self-deceived, believing their own press. Too often the Church has been plagued by the incredible pride of false teachers rather than being feed by humble servants. Believers must always be alert to the dangers that lurk in the shadows of pride--be leery of the doctrines that tickle our ears--and never put our faith in anything or anyone other than the Author and Finisher of our faith, Jesus Christ.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I know that You know my heart better than I do myself. I am relying upon You to reveal the truth about myself, to myself. I know that you resist the proud and that pride goes before the fall... I don't want to be swept away by my own selfish ambitions or to be overtaken by my foolish pride. Lord, help me to understand true Godly humility and then may I walk in a manner that is worthy of my calling. To You, and You alone belongs all the Glory, Honor and Power! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment