Friday, February 15, 2013

Virtuous Wife

Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. The heart of her husband safely trusts her; So he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil All the days of her life. Prov 31:10-12 (NKJV)

I had been married to my wife for about two years when my mother and father pulled me aside and said, "If you ever do anything to hurt your wife, if you are unfaithful to your wife, or if you decide to leave your wife, please know that she will remain our daughter and you will be disowned." I guess that is what happens to you when you marry a virtuous woman--your friends and even your family decide that they like her more than they do you. In my case I cannot argue with their sentiment, my wife has the same character as that of Proverb's virtuous woman and is without doubt, the nicest person I have ever known.

It could be argued that the wisest decision I ever made in life was asking Jody to be my wife. Life is good when you are married to a person of virtue. It is little wonder that the Apostle Paul gave Believers the following words of wisdom: "Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?" (2 Cor 6:14) What was Paul trying to say? That fellowship and communion is very difficult to achieve with a person who has different ideas concerning God, morality, values and virtue.

So, what is life like living with a virtuous help-mate? Difficult situations are less difficult. Good times are better. Impossible times are met with prayer. Challenges are faced with faith. Tribulation is tackled with hope. Shortages are met with hard work. Decisions are made with prudence. Sorrow is tempered with peace. (Imagine a world, a small corner of the world that is "ruled" with the Fruit of the Spirit) That is why a virtuous wife or husband is worth more than all the riches of the world!

Prayer: "Dear Father in heaven, I just want to thank You for Your many gifts in this life. I thank you for my family, my wife and children. You have blessed me through their lives more than I deserve and more than I can comprehend. I pray that You will continue to keep Your hand of blessing and protection on my family. May each family member keep You as their first love all the days of their lives. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment