Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pride

Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall. Better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, Than to divide the spoil with the proud. He who heeds the word wisely will find good, And whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he. Prov 16:18-20 (NKJV)

I recently suggested to a study group that if you pray for humility you will probably experience situations that cause you to be humiliated. I did not wait many days when this turned out to be a true word in my own life. I was approached by a brother who challenged something that I had done. My reaction to his observation and reasonable request was to immediately get defensive. Beyond defensive I got angry. I rarely get angry and pride myself on my ability to remain calm when under fire... "Did I really just say that I PRIDE MYSELF on my ability to remain calm when under fire?"  I crashed...I burned...and I proved that pride goes before the disaster.

After the initial wave of anger had passed. (It took a few minutes) I was thoroughly humiliated and found it difficult to find the adequate words to express how sorry I was for my bad behavior. Now here is the "thing" that bothers me as I ponder the events: "Was I truly sorry for my anger? or was I simply embarrassed? or was I trying to cover my humiliation by acting repentant so that my brother would think better of me?" In other words, was I still acting in pride? That is how tricky pride can be as it creeps through our emotions and tests our character.

This is what I know: I have an anger problem. I have a pride problem. I have a sin problem. Romans 3:23 indicates that everyone has a sin problem, which leads me to two conclusions: 1) I have not arrived spiritually and will need the Holy Spirit to continue His transforming work as long as I am alive. 2) I need to treat people with greater forbearance, seeing myself as I really am and seeing them with the love of God.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, I know that You know me better than I know myself. The picture that I have of myself is more exalted than it should be. You have an accurate understanding of who I am and what I need to be transformed. As difficult as it is to entrust myself to be clay in Your hands...may I be clay in Your hands. Lord, have Your way with me. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment