Monday, December 17, 2012

An Example

Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. 1 Tim 4:12-16 (NKJV)

I think that this passage would be more easily understood if the Apostle Paul had written it more like this: "If you act mature in what you say, and in the way you live; and if you set an example for others to follow in love, in spirit, in faith and in purity; everyone will respect you even though you are young." In other words, Paul was telling Timothy to live in such a way as to command the respect of others.

It is true that disrespect is sometimes unearned. People disrespect or despise people for a myriad of reasons. They might not like another person's social economic background, or gender, or educational background, or culture, or race, or national heritage, or religion, or age...the list is really endless as well as nonsensical. You can challenge their preconceived prejudice by proving their assumptions wrong. By being an example in so many important areas of conduct, Timothy would not be giving any room to his critics to "despise his youth!"

Certainly, no one is perfect; however our progress needs to be evident to all. When I was a young man my grandfather told me, "Build your reputation by living right, this will make it more difficult for your enemies to turn people against you and it will also make it easier for your friends to defend you." It was great advice! I'm sure that we all have our critics, but by setting a Godly example and living Godly lives, we are literally taking away their ammunition and silencing the voice of the accuser.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, I am so far from obtaining perfection. And yet, rather than accusing me or putting me down, You lift me up--clean me up--and set my feet on a more solid footing. Please help me live in such a way as to be a credible witness for you. As to my critics--give me love for them and help me to set an example. Thank you for Your transforming power that continues its work in me." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment