Thursday, December 20, 2012

Greater Works

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it." John 14:12-14 (NKJV)

Jesus was a walking miracle. In terms of miracles, He is unmatched in the annals of history. We are talking about turning water into wine, cleansing lepers, casting out demonic spirits, healing the blind, raising the dead and walking on water...just for starters. So, the very idea of normal humans doing greater works than Jesus, well, it is simply difficult to believe. And yet, there it is..."The works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do."

Have you ever watched a movie that made you cry or laugh out loud? In order to buy-in to the movie that you are watching you must suspend your disbelief. This allows you to temporarily believe that what you are watching is really happening. If an actor or actress is particularly or spectacularly poor at their craft you may never be able to suspend your disbelief. But, if you start believing...you will find that movies tug at your emotions and you may also find yourself ducking under the asteroid that was about ready to collide with your space ship. For a moment, we need to take Jesus seriously and suspend our disbelief.

What if Jesus was really serious about His bold statement? What if He really has planned for us to do the things that He did and even greater things? What if there is no ceiling on what we can accomplish through His authority and power? Was Jesus' Church actually designed to be a super power on this earth? Without qualification let me simply answer with one word; the word is "Yes!" Empowered by the Holy Spirit we have been authorized to be ministers of reconciliation--to preach the gospel all over the planet--to make disciples--with the promise that He will supply whatever it is that we need to accomplish our mission! I would suggest that we need to suspend our disbelief and take Jesus at His word!

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, I declare that I believe in You, and at the same time, I have doubts about myself. Even the possibility that I could be used in powerful ways, doing the things that Jesus did...well, I need You to help my unbelief. In spite of my doubts and fears I do know that You have already prepared works for me to accomplish. I pray that You would help me to be faithful to that call and that I would boldly do the things that You lead me to do. It is my desire to be a good and faithful servant. Lead and guide my words and deeds this day!" Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment