Thursday, December 6, 2012

Real Love

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. 1 Cor 13:4-8 (NKJV)

Trust me--I still remember the first time I kissed Jody. My blood pressure soared and there was a strong emotional feeling of euphoria...goodness, I thought my lips were going to melt right off my face! What I felt was probably infatuation. It was a good feeling, but not real love. Love came later...probably kicked in about the same time infatuation ran out.

The Apostle Paul describes real love in 1 Corinthians, the 13th chapter. The "love" that Paul describes seems to have more in common with integrity than it does with emotions. Let me point out the difference. If we follow our emotions we will always do what we "feel" like doing. If we allow integrity to guide us, we will do what we believe to be right and good. According to Paul, "real love" is expressed as a high level of personal integrity, to the point that love never fails.

Now contrast the "real love" that never fails to my young man's "infatuation" that lasted a mere few weeks. The shelf-life of my infatuation was very short, but God's love never fails. We are secure in God's love, because, unlike humanity, God is not fickle. He loved us enough to send Jesus. He loved us enough to save us. He loves us enough to live in us. And, He will love us when we go to live with Him in eternity. We are secure in God's love!

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for Your never-ending, constant, patient love. Thank you for not growing tired of me and my short-comings. I know that You love me as I am, but I am grateful that You are transforming me into a new creature. A better, a much better version of me. Please continue the work that You started so long ago. Remake me in Your image and teach me to love others with real love." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment