Saturday, December 15, 2012

Walking in Humility

Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Phil 2:1-4 (NKJV)

Humility is relative. That sounds very philosophical, yet none the less true. Too often humility is portrayed as being self-hatred, which renders the idea of "loving your neighbor as yourself" a mute point. Humility is not self-hatred; humility begins when we understand our relative position to God and others. In other words, I can feel great about myself and still understand that God is much, much, much greater than I am! I submit to God, because He is greater and that is humility in action. I can also love myself and still love others to the point that I would lay my life down for them.

Many sports historians are calling Tim Duncan the greatest power forward in the history of the NBA. (National Basketball Association) Tim Duncan is also noted for his humility. He submits to the authority of his head basketball coach (Greg Popovich) setting an example for his teammates to follow. They reason, "If Tim Duncan, the greatest power forward in the history of the NBA is willing to listen and submit to our coach, how can we not do the same?" I am sure that Tim Duncan knows that he is a great basketball player, but he practices humility on his team by submitting to a higher authority.

As dearly loved Sons and Daughters of God, we should love and value ourselves, because God loves and values us. We should also love and value others, because God loves and values others. When we are filled with God's love it compels us to a practical, applied humility; because, we want to serve others, we want to put their needs before our own, and we want to serve their interests. If you want to demonstrate the character trait of humility in your own life, submit to God, and learn to love others just as Christ loved you.

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for sending Jesus. Who humbled Himself by submitting to You and demonstrated His love by laying His life down to save us. It is hard to imagine that God, our God would bow before His friends and wash their feet. Lord, that is the kind of love that I want driving the actions of my life. That is the kind of humility that I want others to be blessed by--as I put their needs before my own. Lord, help me to walk in total submission to You this day--I surrender!" Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment