Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Habitation for God

The Lord is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and I will exalt Him. Ex 15:2 (NKJV)

This happens to be one of those rare places where the "old" King James translators did a better job than those that worked on the NKJV. The NKJV reads: "He is my God, and I will praise Him." The King James Version reads:"He is my God and I will prepare Him a habitation." This translation is much more faithful rendering of the original Hebrew.

Moses led the Children of Israel across the Red Sea and then watched as God swept away the army of the Pharaoh that was chasing them. Moses and the Children then sang a song of praise unto God. The song contained this interesting promise: "I will prepare Him(God) a habitation." A short time later Moses made good on his promise and the tent of Moses became the first Tabernacle of Israel and the place where God dwelled. We know that God is omnipresent, which means that God is everywhere at the same time. But, in fact, the Tabernacle of Israel and later the Temple in Jerusalem was a specific place set aside as a habitation for God.

Moses' tent has long since disintegrated and the Romans destroyed the last Jewish Temple in Jerusalem almost two thousand years ago, but there is a new temple that has been set aside as a habitation for God. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, you are that temple. God , the Holy Spirit dwells in us. Jesus said this concerning the Holy Spirit, "You will know Him for He will live with you and will live in you!" Just think about it--the power that created the universe is living in you...what are the possibilities as a habitation for God?

Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, I want to be a place that is set aside for Your habitation. I want to be full of Your Spirit and emptied of the world. I pray that You would become so evident in my life that strangers would stop me and ask me about the hope of glory that is living in me and visible to them. May the evidence of Your presence be present in my actions and my demeanor every waking moment, and through my actions may You receive all the credit and glory for my transformed life!" Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment