Friday, March 1, 2013

Gray Days

But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:10-13 (NKJV)

Gray days--everywhere you live you will experience gray days. As the Bible points out, "It rains on the just and the unjust." As much as the rain is a blessing for the parched earth and needed for the seeds of Spring to burst from their winter slumber, we still have the gray days that come with the rain. I remember the gray days when I attended Northwest University. Coming from a cold, but sunny climate, the seemingly...never-ending...gray days were somewhat depressing. As I felt the weight of the gray days pressing me down I made a decision; I decided to embrace them as I would a dear friend.

I would not go so far as to say that gray days put me in a state of abasement. I was not truly suffering, but I did miss the blue skies of home. It seemed to me that by allowing gray days to be a reason for personal depression I was missing something...perhaps perspective. I had plenty of food to eat--I had a secure, warm place to sleep--I was surrounded by plenty of friends--I was engaged to a beautiful young woman...so many things to be thankful for. The gray days persisted, but so did the provision of God.

When did I finally turn the corner? I'm not really sure...but, before I graduated and moved from the Great Northwest I found that I love the gray days. I love the feel of the mist on my face, the green of the lush plant life bathing my eyes, walking through the mystery of the morning fog, emerging from the surreal into the brief appearance of a bright sunny day and towering snow-capped mountains... I learned to love the beauty that is the Northwest. I also took the first step in learning a valuable spiritual lesson--to be content in "whatever state I am in." Embracing the gray days was just the beginning of learning to be content with God's provision--of keeping my focus on His blessings rather than on my self-made discontentment. Gray days will come in many different forms, but the challenges of life do not determine who I am--where I am going--or the person I trust and serve!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, thank you for the gray days that turn my attention to you. When I take the time to count the many blessings that flow from Your grace, I am somewhat ashamed that I ever complain about the happenings of life. I am often not mindful of the eternal picture and the ultimate destiny that You have designed for me. Help me to keep my eyes on You--rejoicing in beauty of Your creation--embracing the amazing events of life--serving with my whole-heart in the work of Your Kingdom! Amen"
  

No comments:

Post a Comment