Saturday, March 16, 2013

Consequences

I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:19-23 (NKJV)

There will be consequences. I received a new CD in the mail. "Original Demos" by Tom Snow, featuring one of the best unknown voices of my generation, Warren Wiebe. I took the CD out of the packaging and it almost slipped out of my hand, whereupon my 5 year old grandson, Ayden, remarked: "If you drop the CD and it hits the floor and breaks the police will come and take my cats." (What???) I don't think that this qualifies, but Newton's Third Law of Physics does state: "For every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction." Seems to be a truth that applies in both the physical and spiritual realm--at least that has been my experience. To this day I remember sticking a screwdriver into the electrical outlet...I experienced the equal and opposite reaction!

The Apostle Paul tells us: "For the wages of win is death." Oh my...seriously, Oh my! You see it's like this, I have sinned...more than a little bit. If anyone is worthy of death, I'm afraid that it is me standing in the pathway of judgment. The Bible further states: "There is a way that seems right unto a man, but the end is destruction." I cannot even trust my wits, intellect or will power to dig out of this mess. If there is spiritual equal and opposite reaction to my sin I'm doomed!

There is a religious word that comes to mind. "Hallelujah!!!" Roughly translated as "Praise the Lord!" Paul speaks of a remedy for what ails me. "The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." This gift of grace is not a cause to continue a life filled with the foolishness of sin, but it is the light that gives hope to the "all" in the "fall short of the glory of God."  Finally, when it comes to my eternal destiny, Newton's Third Law has been made nil and void by the greater law of God's grace. The price of my sin has already been paid for in full...thank you Lord Jesus!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, thank you for the unmerited favor--the undeserved love--and the unexpected gift of forgiveness. I am grateful more than words can express. I will forever be thankful for the gift of Jesus. As I think of the future...forevermore, I will have opportunity to praise and worship You. I will gather with the millions who have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb and we will sing a new and glorious 'Hallelujah Chorus.' Blessed be the name of the Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment