Saturday, March 30, 2013

Death--Passion Week

Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. 32 Then the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and of the other who was crucified with Him. 33 But when they came to Jesus and saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs. 34 But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. 35 And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you may believe. 36 For these things were done that the Scripture should be fulfilled, "Not one of His bones shall be broken." 37 And again another Scripture says,"They shall look on Him whom they pierced." 38 After this, Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the John 19:31-38 (NKJV)

Death...not a subject that people want to talk about or contemplate. Jesus' death was especially gruesome and wholly unfair. To be punished as a criminal and sentenced to death by crucifixion must have been the ultimate humiliation to the one who lived a sinless life. And yet we commemorate--"Yes," commemorate His death by wearing crosses. Outside of Jesus, most of us have never been connected or known a person who was crucified, which makes the whole idea of crucifixion somewhat surreal.

It must be the disconnect from the reality of what happened to Jesus that makes the modern fad of wearing a cross so widespread. Mind you--I'm not bothered by people who want to clearly declare that they have put their faith in Jesus, but I am often confused by the mixed message sent by some celebrities who proudly display the cross as a fashion statement, but desecrate the memory of our Savior's sacrifice by the way they chose to live. I have a cross--occasionally I wear it--generally under my shirt; but, when I wear it I do it in remembrance of Christ's atoning work. If anyone ever sees it, I hope that the profession of my faith is confirmed by the way I live my life!

Make no mistake about it--a cross is a sign of death. It is a symbol of Christ's death, but it also speaks to the crucifixion of my own flesh. My less than noble attitudes--the times when I lack personal integrity--the instances when I fall into temptation--the pull of my flesh that battles with the call of God on my life...all of these things need to die within my life. I need to identify myself with Christ in the daily crucifixion of my desires. According to Jesus--if I want to be one of His disciples, I need to "Deny myself, pick up my cross and follow Him."

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, You spoke to us so long ago through the voice of the prophet Isaiah, who said, 'Come let us reason together says the Lord, though your sins be as scarlet they shall be as white as snow.' This was accomplished through the atoning work of Your Son, Jesus. I reflect upon that great work with mixed emotions: I rejoice that my sins are forgiven--I stand in awe of Christ's courage--I weep at memory of Christ's suffering, and I grateful for the sacrifice of death that brought me life. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment