Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Gethsemane--Passion Week

Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, "Sit here while I go and pray over there." 37 And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed. 38 Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me." 39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." 40 Then He came to the disciples and found them asleep, and said to Peter, "What? Could you not watch with Me one hour? 41 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." 42 Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done." 43 And He came and found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy. 44 So He left them, went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words. 45 Then He came to His disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46 Rise, let us be going. See, My betrayer is at hand." Matt 26:36-46 (NKJV)

Submission...in sports it means that you are "tapping out." Which is an acknowledgment that you lost, you are giving up, you are throwing in the towel and you are surrendering. Generally speaking of sports, a team or a player does not submit, but continues to "fight" until the end of the game regardless of the score. Submission is not respected. Submission also happens to be one of those "things" that goes against the grain of our human nature. We like to be in control--we like to have things our way--we like to be right--and we prefer others submitting to us rather than the other way around.

It has been said that, "True submission is birthed at the point of disagreement." In other words, as long as we are flowing and going the same direction, we are simply in agreement. When we disagree as how to proceed forward, that is when true submission has the opportunity to be exercised; because, if no-one is willing to submit, we can no longer walk together in unity or progress. In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus demonstrated true submission. He knew what was going to happen to Him--He had already told His disciples about it. He knew that the ordeal was going to be heartbreaking, difficult, painful, humiliating and tragic.

He prayed: "Father, if possible let this cup pass from me, never-the-less, Your will be done." God's plan of salvation for mankind came down to this pivotal moment. All the forces in the universe, both for good and evil, was focused on this event. The weight of it all crushed Jesus to the ground and He sweat, as it were, great drops of blood. He even told His disciples: "My soul is heavy to the point of death." There, in a garden of darkness and great despair Jesus submitted to the Father. This is the reason Jesus has been given a name above all other names, and that at the name of Jesus, "Every knee will bow and tongue confess that Jesus is Lord!" 

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, there is a part of me that states, 'I want to be like Jesus." But, when I consider His suffering and sacrifice, I realize that the price is steep. Too often I find myself wanting the character of Christ without a willingness to pay the price to attain it. Change my heart O God, and renew a right spirit within me. I know that I'm hanging on to me--but, I need to be more like You. Please continue to work in my life and with Your help may I submit myself to the process. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment