Monday, March 18, 2013

Dependency

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Cor 12:7-10 (NKJV)

I was raised to be tough. My parents taught me by a code that declared: "If you are suffering--suffer in silence." No-one was trying to be cruel, but rather, my parents were preparing me for the real world--where there is real suffering--where there are real challenges--and where the weak are too often victimized by the strong. This has served me well in that, as a pastor, people do not come to me to hear about my problems, they come to me so that I might encourage them in the midst of their own.

I entered the ministry woefully ignorant and unprepared for the life problems that other people struggled with. I had good health--few stresses--great parents--wonderful wife--faithful friends and Jesus in my heart. For me life was wonderful in my neighborhood. My worldview was rocked when I started bumping up against the real issues that other people were facing. (Death, divorce, financial reversals, rebellious teens, health issues, emotional issues, spiritual issues...) I was overwhelmed by the shear numbers of people, that I cared about, facing enormous problems that were too big for me to solve.

As I have grown older and experienced more life...I discovered that I have problems of my own. I cannot even solve my own problems much less the problems of everyone around me. Yet, I know someone who knows--really knows everyone that I know. He knows the number of hairs that cover their heads; He knows what they have need of before they ask; and get this: He loves them with a love that will never fail. The ultimate answer for all of us is the same: "We all need Jesus!" I have found great comfort knowing that His grace is sufficient for every man, woman and child on planet earth. I have also discovered that when I am at my weakest, that is when I lean on Christ the most. It is in those moments of complete dependency on Christ that I am strong.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I depend on You--in fact, I have no other place to turn to or answers that can be found. I need You...to guide me, to help me, to encourage me, to lift me up when I fall, to stand with me, to go before me, to correct me, to heal me, to instruct me, to forgive me, to change me and ultimately, to save me. You are the answer to the problems that I face. Thank you Father! In my weakness You are strong! Blessed be the name of the Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment