Thursday, March 21, 2013

Holy Ground

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bushwas not consumed. Then Moses said, "I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn." So when the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground." Ex 3:1-5 (NKJV)

"Holy Ground" was a popular worship chorus that we sang back in the 80's. As a worship leader, "Holy Ground" was one in a group of choruses that we strung together in the Key of F. (Holy Ground--Hail King Jesus--He is Lord--I Love You Lord) With some very simple lyrics and melody, "Holy Ground" expresses a truth that Moses discovered when he crossed paths with a burning bush.

Holy ground, we're standing on holy ground,
For the Lord is present and where He is--is holy.
This is holy ground, we're standing on holy ground,
For the Lord is present and where He is--is holy.


I think that too often, we as Believers, forget that the Lord is present and in the midst of our "gathering together" times. He doesn't appear to us as a burning bush--which would be really cool! (Sorry for the 70's retro moment) However, He is with us. I am sure that we would have some sort of reaction if confronted by a burning bush, but if the Lord is with us (and He is), we should respond to His presence.

Owning this truth is what makes a personal difference in the way we approach a worship service. For those of us, who recognize that the Lord is with us, our time of worship is not merely a song service--it is a time when the very ground we are standing on is transformed into holy ground--and we worship in awestruck wonder of the "One who paid it all." You might be thinking that I'm over-stating my case...not true! Jesus plainly stated: "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them." Matt 18:20 (NKJV) Next time you are attending a worship service, try remembering that Jesus is in the house and you are standing on Holy Ground!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, You should not have to appear to me in a burning bush in order to get my attention. In those moments where I get preoccupied with my own life and my own concerns, gently remind me that You are with me. You are great and greatly to be praised--so, may worship explode from my lips and may love flow out of my heart as I lift my voice to shout Your praises and to sing songs that glorify Your name! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment