Friday, March 22, 2013

Shine Love

You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp-stand  and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Matt 5:14-16

Let's start with the big picture. We are living on a beautiful planet that is under the curse of sin. That means that planet earth is hostile, dangerous, unforgiving, cruel, scary and deadly. The Bible calls this "darkness." In the midst of this darkness came a force that was the complete opposite of the darkness and in fact, diametrically opposed to the darkness. Jesus was that light! For about 3 1/2 years Jesus took on the darkness; He saved the lost, He set the prisoners free, He mended the broken-hearted, He healed the sick, He inspired the hopeless... John described His tenure on earth in the following short sentence: "In Him was life, and the life was the light of men." John 1:4 (NKJV)

I totally get this--Jesus is the light of the world; but, that is not the entire picture. One day Jesus was teaching His disciples and He said something that caught them by surprise. He said, "You are the light of the world." It is statements like this that account for the reason that Jesus makes me nervous. "I am the light of the world?" What would happen to America if we were to make this coming Monday "Light of the World Day" and every Christian in America would let their light shine for one whole day?

So, here is the challenge: You are the light of the world, and in order for the world that is enshrouded in darkness to have a chance, your light needs to be put on display so that everyone can see it. How can you make your light more visible? How can you make our own personal light more viable? Start with a demonstration of love...and when you feel like you have squeezed out as much love as you possible can...start all over with a demonstration of love. Love is the one sign that tells the world that we belong to Jesus!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, You are awesome and I look at myself and I'm not all that awesome. How can I possibly represent You with all my quarks and weaknesses? I need You--in this moment, I recognize just how much I need You. Be my strength--be my teacher--be the miracle that I need in order to transform. Lord, I want to be a light; so, remind me to plug my life into the power source that makes light possible. You are my source! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment