Thursday, March 14, 2013

Righteousness

Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, Nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive blessing from the Lord, And righteousness from the God of his salvation. Psalms 24:3-5 (NKJV)

In this beautiful Psalm, David asks two questions. They do not qualify as rhetorical questions, because David gives us the answer to both. In this case, David's answer seems to be inadequate or incomplete. As I examine my own life--my hands seem less than clean and my heart less than pure.  Whether David was looking forward to the coming of Jesus, (the one who would make our scarlet sins as white as snow) or not; he clearly understood this truth: The source of our righteousness is God.

The Apostle Paul simply stated the obvious truth: "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  On our own merit, not one of us can ascend the hill of the Lord or stand in His holy place, because we are all tainted by the scourge of sin. Our hearts are in need of a spiritual bath--our minds are in need of a transformation--our destiny needs a miraculous adjustment--and we need a Savior to come and rescue us from us. The man in the mirror cannot overcome the challenge of sin alone.

No truth is as obvious as the fact that mankind is seriously messed up! A few minutes of honest observation will confirm it. We all (even those that will not admit it) need a savior. Jesus is that Savior. Jesus is the reason that I can come into the presence of God with clean hands and a pure heart. He covers me with His love, forgiveness and clothes me in a robe of His righteousness. Simply put--Jesus is my righteousness!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I feel inadequate in and of myself. If anyone has ever needed a Savior I should be at the top of the list. Please breath Your life into my soul and bring on the rivers of cleansing, healing and renewal. I hear you knocking at the door of my heart. Please come in and make Your home in me. Thank you for Your patience--Your grace--Your favor--Your mercy--Your forgiveness, and Your love. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment