Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How Far Would You Go?

I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh, who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God,and the promises; of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Romans 9:1-5 (NKJV)

First responders, such as paramedics, firemen and the police; often put their lives at risk for an opportunity to save others in need. Who can forget the heroic efforts of these brave individuals on 9/11! This was not the first time that first responders died to save others, and the same kind of bravery has been repeated many times since. Some might argue that the risk of bodily harm is simply a part of the first responder's job description. Still, it takes real conviction and courage to rush into a burning building in order to save someone.

The Apostle Paul was filled with passion for the his lost brethren and was willing to put everything on the line in order to save them. "For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren." Talk about setting the bar high--to wish myself damned in order that some might be saved? That is the exact price that Jesus paid in order to take my place. The Prophet Isaiah foresaw the atoning work of Christ and the extent that Jesus was willing to go in order to save us: Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:4-5 (NKJV)

I have some friends who just made the decision to leave the comfort of their "very secure" and long tenured jobs in order to engage in missionary work in Indonesia. They are stepping out of their comfort zone--they are putting their future retirement at some risk--they are walking into the unknown...all for the purpose of reaching people for Christ. I admire them; however, I also realize that I do not need to move to the other side of the world to become involved evangelism. I can reach people right here. Here is the question that I must answer: "How far am I willing to go to reach the people around me?"

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I am confident that I have not fully grasped the love that compelled You to rescue me. I would like to be bolder in my effort to reach people with the Gospel, but feel too often I find my own timidity getting in the way. Fill me with boldness. Fill me with new passion for the lost. Fill me with the conviction that I must do whatever it takes to reach those that don't know you. My I take greater personal risks in order to save some! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment