Thursday, May 16, 2013

What I Do Have

Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour. And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple; who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, "Look at us." So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk." Acts 3:1-6 (NKJV)

As Jesus instructed, the disciples and the rest of the followers of Christ waited in Jerusalem for the Holy Spirit. Just as promised, the Holy Spirit arrived and filled them with power. With this new baptism of power Peter was a different man. The evidence was striking as he boldly preached in the streets of Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost, but even greater miracles were awaiting Peter. Peter and John were walking to the temple when they were accosted by a crippled man who was begging. The lame man asked for alms, not realizing that he was about to receive a miracle.

A miracle? Wasn't Jesus gone? Who would perform miracles now? This was the first opportunity to test the prophetic words of Jesus, who declared: "You will do the same works that I do and you will do greater works!" Peter, being aware of the awesome power that now lived in him, spoke boldly to the crippled man: "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you--in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" In that moment, I imagine, John looking at Peter, thinking, "What have you just done, Peter?" The man, who had been lame from birth decided that he has nothing to lose, and he stood to his feet.

He could stand! He took a step...he could walk! He jumped...his legs held him up! He began to run, and dance, and jump; and everyone heard him scream in delight: "I can walk...I can walk!" Please bear with me as I speak the truth; if you are a Believer in Christ, the same power is living in you. Ask yourself this question: "What are the greater works that Jesus has in mind for me to accomplish?"  Next time the Holy Spirit is prompting you to step out in faith and do something that seems crazy...why don't you give it a try.  It might be intimidating, but you will never walk on water unless you get out of the boat!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, do we dare believe that You have a ministry prepared for us that is filled with miraculous signs and wonders? Was Jesus serious when He said that we would do greater things than what He did? Lord, increase my faith and help me to lay aside my doubts and fears. I yield myself as a vessel to be used for Your purposes. I pray that Your work would not be limited by my limitations--for with You all things are possible. In my life, Lord, be glorified! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment