Monday, May 20, 2013

The Real Enemy

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Eph 6:10-12 (NKJV)

I know from my own personal experience that it is easy for me forget who my real enemy is. This is a problem--a real problem! If my enemy is not of flesh and blood--why do I speak against or strive against other people? In terms of spiritual warfare, developing or nurturing adversarial relationships with other people is a complete waste of my time! My time would be better spent on putting on the whole armor of God and hammering the real enemy.

The Apostle Peter tells us that we have a real enemy: "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." 1 Peter 5:8 (NKJV) So, we have this powerful, but unseen enemy that is driven and motivated to destroy people. We see his handiwork in our culture--that he has caused our society to embrace and propagate half-truths and lies--that he has enslaved people with vices that are addicting--that he entices us with the empty promises of fame, fortune and power, as if the meaning of life can be found in the vanities of life.

The "key" in fighting against the powers of darkness comes down to one factor: "Be strong in the Lord." I am called to resist this powerful enemy who wants to devour me. If I take him on in my own natural human power, I frankly do not have much of a chance. However, if I decide to stand and fight with the spiritual weapons and supernatural strength that are found in the Lord--I can and will soundly defeat the enemy of my soul. "Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world!"


Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, my strength is found in You. Mighty Creator, I pray that You would infuse my life with Your power, so that I might be a force that You are able to use to expand Your Kingdom and to destroy the works of darkness. I also pray that you would make me aware of those times when I start wrestling against flesh and blood. May I live at peace with my fellow sojourners on this earth while fighting the good fight against the real enemy. Blessed be the name of the Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment