Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Peace

"These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:25-27 (NKJV)

Jesus prophesied to His disciples concerning the difficult final chapter of His sojourn on earth. His words were upsetting to His disciples. So much so that Peter jumped in (as usual) and told Jesus that he (Jesus) did not need to go through with the plan. Jesus then strongly rebuked Peter by saying, "Get thee behind me Satan!" The end was near--Jesus was about to complete God's plan to rescue mankind--and the disciples were perplexed and confused. 


In the midst of this sobering prophecy Jesus spoke some words of hope to His disciples. He told them about a God-initiated peace that would become available to them. This was not a promise of an easy life, where the disciples would enjoy a time free of conflict, controversy and danger...no, history tells us that all but one of the disciples would be martyred for their faith. This would be a supernatural peace that would be activated by the Holy Spirit in the very center of difficult and trying circumstances.

I came to faith in God at a very young age. I can verify what Jesus said concerning the Holy Spirit. "You will know Him, because He will be with you and He will live in you." I was acutely aware that the Spirit of God was with me. Having God the Holy Spirit with me and living in me "always" gave me a deep sense of well-being. The Holy Spirit was a continual source that spoke words of encouragement. Words such as: "I am here with you." "Everything is going to work out." "I will help you." "All things are possible with Me in your life." "I will guide you." "You do not need to worry about that." "Rest in me and know that I will work this for your good." The promise of peace is real. Listen to what the Holy Spirit is saying to you...He is our comforter and is walking through life with you...every step of the journey.

Prayer: "Father, giver of life, Creator of all that is, mighty power, lover of my soul; I cannot imagine life without You, for You are my peace. My burden in life is light, because You do not give me a burden that I cannot carry. There is no temptation that can overcome the way of escape that You provide. There is no enemy or circumstance that cannot be overcome, because with You even the impossible becomes possible. You are good...what an understatement...You are good beyond what my words can describe. Blessed be the name of the Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment