Wednesday, May 8, 2013

To Serve

"You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave-- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." Matt 20:25-28 (NKJV)

If you grew up with siblings then you already understand the idea of "Sibling Rivalries." Often, in the struggle to gain the attention of a parent a child will both strive to win the approval of the parent and put down their siblings in order to emerge as the "better" child. This is the kind of self-serving behavior that we expect from children, but this is where we judge children too harshly while not perceiving our own "adult" behavior accurately. Even adults strive to win the approval of the people that matter to them; but, too often at the expense of others.

Jesus, as usual, is right in His observation of mankind. In the secular world, those in power lord it over those that are under their authority. I think that this is more often the case rather than the exception. Some people really like to have authority and power over others. There was a time where I was the "whipping boy" in an organization. I worked hard and dealt with my relationships with a good deal of integrity, but was on the receiving end of criticism. What a miserable time... However, it was an opportunity for God to bring greater measures of humility and patience into my life.

What people experience IN THE CHURCH should be very different than that. In the Church, leadership should be expressed as servant-hood. Those who rule, lead and teach in the Church should do so with a servant's heart--putting the needs of others before their own. Pastors were never called or meant to be little kings who rule over the laity. Authentic Christian leadership must strive for, and exercise Godly humility. That is the only way we can truly follow in the footsteps of the Great Shepherd. Jesus literally poured out His life to serve our needs--how far down that road are we willing to travel in order to follow after Jesus?

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I will admit that I like to be liked by others--I like to be in charge and to have the power to direct the activities of others--I like to be recognized and seen--I like to be complimented for what little skill I have... Sometimes I wonder if I do anything with a truly selfless, humble attitude. You know my heart...nothing is hidden from You; so, create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me. Mold me into a better, more Christlike person, that You might be glorified! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment