Monday, April 1, 2013

A Prayer for Those I Love

For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11 strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. Col 1:9-12 (NKJV)

I have a list of people that I pray for on a regular basis. The list is so important that I do not write the names down. Let me explain--these people are so precious to me that there is never a day that passes where they are not predominate in both my thoughts and prayers. I think of my wife--my children--my grandchildren--my extended family--my church family--and my close friends...no doubt about it, they are always on my heart and love inserts them into the middle of my prayer life.

When I pray for the people that I love, what do I hope for in their lives? Prosperity, fame and power? No doubt, I want the people I love to do well in this life, but prosperity, fame and power are not very high on my list. I have watched too many "Mouseketeers" flame-out, because they could not handle their own overgrown egos caused by too much, too soon. So, what do I want for the people that are close to my heart? When praying for the Colossians, the Apostle Paul prayed that they would be filled with the knowledge of God's will, wisdom and spiritual understanding.

What chance do my grandchildren have making their way through the challenges of this world in one piece apart from God's grace? I have lived long enough and observed enough human behavior to conclude that I'm going to make Paul's prayer for the Colossians the prayer that I will be praying for my grandchildren. I can not think of a better prayer or a better gift than to be filled with God's wisdom, spiritual understanding and to be walking in the center of God's will. As they embrace these precious gifts of God's grace, I already know that an abundant life in Christ awaits them...and ultimately, they will "Be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light." Paul's poetic way of saying, "Eternal life is waiting!"

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I already know that You love my family and friends; and I am persuaded to place them into Your tender care and mercy. I pray that You would be the treasure in the hearts of my children and grandchildren. May You--and You alone be their first love. Fill them with the knowledge of Your will--fill them with Your wisdom--and fill them with a deep spiritual understanding by Your Spirit. Thank you for Your amazing faithfulness and blessings! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment