Saturday, April 13, 2013

Confession

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:8-9 (NKJV)

Doctrinal Point #4: People are delivered from their sin when they proclaim their faith and when that faith is birthed in their hearts.

There is more written about St. Augustine than any other person alive during the 4th or 5th century. St. Augustine wrote a 13 book autobiography called, "Confessions in Thirteen Books." It is now commonly called "The Confessions of St. Augustine." How about you? Can you imagine having thirteen books written about your life dedicated to the purpose of exposing you...warts and all? In Augustine's mind it only took thirteen books to cover his conversion to Christianity and to confess his faith.

The Apostle John stated: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us oursins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 (NKJV) What this tells us is that "we" approach confession from two different aspects. Firstly, we acknowledge our need of Christ by "confessing" our sins. Secondly, we acknowledge the Lordship of Christ by "confessing" our faith in Him. Both components of the confession are important and necessary.

The first confession is an expression of sorrow towards our state of sinfulness. Which is the first step to repentance. The second confession is an expression of submission to the purposes of God as they relate directly to us. It is possible to be sad about sin and not submit to God, leaving the work of God in our lives incomplete. The power of God is released in our lives when we, "Confess with our mouths the Lord Jesus..." Why is this so important? According to the Apostle Paul, "Jesus has been given a name above every name, that at the name of Jesus, every knee will bow and tongue confess that Jesus is the Lord!" It is not a question of whether or not you will submit to Jesus--it is a matter of when. Embrace His Lordship now--walk in His favor--enjoy His blessings--submit to His goodness and experience the glory of the Lord.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, it is a joy to confess what everyone will one day acknowledge--that Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He has been given a name above every name and I loudly and enthusiastically confess that Jesus is the Lord. He is my Lord--my Friend--my Brother--my Savior--my Hope--my Salvation--my King--my Example--my Teacher--my Rock--my Healer--my Shield--my Refuge... Blessed be the name of the Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment