Monday, April 15, 2013

New Life

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1 (NKJV)

Doctrinal Point #5: As a Believer walks according to the Spirit, they are free from condemnation and the consequences of sin.

As a college student I had a great appreciation for the end of the semester and the beginning of the new. It was the opportunity for a fresh start. I always found the uncharted waters of a fresh start to be exhilarating! The Apostle Paul spoke of the New Life that we have in Christ: "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." 2 Cor 5:17 (NKJV)

What are some of the opportunities that are offered by our new life in Christ? Here are just a few: To be free from the burden of a guilty conscience. To be free from the compulsion to sin. To be free from the condemnation of my past sin. To walk with new purposes. To believe in new possibilities and to have the hope of glory living in me. To love and accept others without worrying about how they feel about me. To know that my very steps are ordered by God. The list of God's blessings are without end...

The Apostle Peter contrasted the old life with the new. He made reference to some known proverbs of his time: "A dog returns to his own vomit," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire." 2 Peter 2:22 (NKJV) When the old life, before Christ, is compared to the new life with Christ--the gulf between the two is huge. Feasting at the table of the Lord is always better than scrounging for spoiling morsels in the land fill. "OK, you get the point!" Our new life in Christ is great--life without Christ, not so great.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, You have given me a future. Not only do I have hope for the future, but, even now--in this moment, I have an abundant life! I am free--I am clean--I have purpose--I have a place being prepared for me. I will forever be grateful for Your love and the work of Your Son's blood which has washed my sins away. No wonder You are great and greatly to be praised! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment