Monday, April 22, 2013

Old?

The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, He shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. 13 Those who are planted in the house of the Lord Shall flourish in the courts of our God. 14 They shall still bear fruit in old age; They shall be fresh and flourishing. Psalms 92:12-14 (NKJV)

Most of the time I am oblivious to the fact that I am getting old. There is no getting around the aging process. There are many things that I can do in order to "age gracefully"; however, make no mistake about it, I am getting older and there is nothing that I can do to stop it. So, as I look to the future, will I be relevant in a culture that worships youth? Will my life have meaning? Does God have something yet that He wants me to accomplish?

The answer to my plight is clear and hopeful. "Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish...they shall still bear fruit in old age." This is a promise that should act as an encouragement to every Believer as they approach old age. Is it possible that my best days are before me? It is possible, in fact I am convinced that God has some very specific and important ministry that I have yet to accomplish. I will need to bear fruit in order to walk in the design of His destiny.

I may not always be able to work as long and hard as I do today, but I am not planning to retire from the ministry anytime soon. I'm sure that my job description will change as God raises up another to take my place, but as long as I am breathing and my heart is beating, I endeavor to be a worker in God's harvest. The Bible is full of "old guys" that made a difference. I want to be another one of those guys!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of life! Thank you for the beauty of Your creation. Thank you for the numerous promises that are documented in Your Word. Thank you for the many blessings that I experience day by day. As my life proceeds, every day is one day closer to my ultimate destination, but until that day I pray that You will open new opportunities to work in the service of Your Kingdom. May I live to see the day of a mighty sweeping revival! Amen"

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to know that God doesn't throw us to the side for a newer or younger son or daughter! He might even use us older folks to help bring about that mighty sweeping revival! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember my grandfather--even in his 80's he was a vibrant spiritual force in the church. So, I think the best years are yet to come!

    ReplyDelete