Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Like a Tree

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, And whose hope is the Lord. 8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit. Jer 17:7-8 (NKJV)

Central Texas is in the middle of an unprecedented drought. It has been tragic to look across the hills and see numerous trees either dead or dying for lack of moisture. Some of the trees that died were ancient and had survived for hundreds of years, but nothing survives without a source of water. Water is the lifeline for trees and with a steady source from which to draw, trees, such as the great Red Woods, can live for over a thousand years.

The Prophet Jeremiah compares such a tree with a man who has put his trust in the Lord. What does that mean? It means that we have put down spiritual roots that are deep and wide. These spiritual roots are connected to God through the working of the Holy Spirit. As we remain in this continual state of being renewed by the Holy Spirit we become resilient. Just as a tree planted by the waters is able to reach down and touch the source of water with its deep roots and survive in the face of drought, so is the Believer who has deep roots in the Lord able to survive all the nonsense that surrounds us in this world.

Let me tell you what my spiritual roots have meant to me personally. From the time I was a child I always had a sense of well-being. I was convinced that things would work out for my good, because God was with me and He liked me! Although I was aware of my own failings and weaknesses; I also was convinced that the promises in God's Word were true. I was convinced that I could do all things through Christ who gives me strength. I was positive that I was more than a conqueror with God on my side. I knew that there was always hope, even in the face of hopeless situations, because with God all things are possible. In my life this is more than a hopeful mindset--it was and to this day "remains" the fruit of putting my trust in the Lord! I always knew that I was a tree person.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, You are the strength of my life. You are the reason that I have hope and remain optimistic in a world full of pessimism. I believe in You and I know that the 23rd Psalm is an accurate understanding of how You function in the lives of Your children. You walk with us every step of our journey through life. And there is no reason to fear the future, because I will dwell with You in the House of the Lord forever! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment