Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Facts Straight

There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. Prov 14:12 (NKJV)

I grew up in an opinionated family. Around the dinner table we (siblings and parents) would discuss and argue everything from politics to religion. In order to temper our tendency to argue recklessly, my mother made sure that if we found out, through the documentation of the dictionary or encyclopedia, that we were wrong on the facts, we would have to say the words, "I was wrong." Just saying those three very difficult words made us a lot more careful in our handling of the facts.

Not too long ago I was in a "discussion" with my brother and I was sure that I was arguing on the right side of the facts, I was so sure that I would have bet the farm if I was a betting man. We went online to double check the facts and I was wrong. "Impossible! How could I have missed it and been so wrong?" I thought. I was so sure and yet, totally and completely wrong. It reminds me of a Proverb that is so important that it is one of the few scriptures that is stated twice. "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death."


In recent years a new wave of intellectuals has emerged who claim to be atheists. They write their books and articles with great conviction, claiming that they are right and that anyone and everyone who has faith in a higher power must not be very bright or enlightened. They also speak of the Church with unending hubris, putting that ancient institution at the center of the world's problems.  That is their opinion, but are they on the right side of the debate?  In the words of Jesus: "Wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it." One day, every knee will bow before Jesus and confess Him as Lord--even those who scoff at Him now. When it comes to the issue of eternal life--this is the one issue where we need to humble ourselves and make sure that we have our facts straight.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, through our lives, through Your glorious creation, through signs and wonders, through the preaching of Your Word, through the blessing of life, please make Yourself known to those who are so sure that You don't exist. Touch their lives and plant a seed of faith in their hearts, so that they are brought to a place of salvation. I also pray that the Church would represent You with integrity, humility and above all, love! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment