Thursday, April 25, 2013

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.

I have read the 23rd Psalm in numerous funeral services. Saying, "goodbye," to a friend or a family member is an occasion that causes us to cling to the thoughts and ideas that comfort us. The 23rd Psalm is a song of hope and comfort. Without question it is one of, if not my favorite chapter in the Bible. It speaks of the relationship that I enjoy with my creator.

I have lived long enough to experience the fullness of what life has to offer--both the good and the bad. I have been stabbed in the back by people that I considered friends. I have put my faith in the institutions of man only to be disappointed. I have engaged in ministry where I fret over the losses and rejoice in those that forge ahead. Through it all I have decided that anything not built on the sure foundation of Christ is indeed sinking sand. The answer to the challenges of life is always the same--lay aside all the empty promises of the world and build on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Being a "man after God's own heart," David understood the shepherd heart of God. Even before the Father sent Jesus into the world, David entered into a covenant relationship with his creator. What he discovered in this relationship caused him to pen the 23rd Psalm. In his relationship with God, David discovered that God is good--that He loves us--that He guides us--that He is with us through the good times and through the trials--that He protects us--that He provides for our needs--that He corrects us--that He holds our hand as we face death--and that His ultimate plan for us is eternal. What an encouraging truth: "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!"

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, too often I have lived the life of a prodigal son. When I come to my senses and realize that it is time to head home--You have always been there to greet me with love and restoration. I am not worthy of Your love and forgiveness--I know this to be true--and yet, You ignore my failure and remove my sin as far as the east is from the west. You are the great shepherd and I trust in You. Cause me to seek You with my whole heart--leaving the duplicitous heart behind. I love You Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment