Monday, April 8, 2013

Save Some

19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to thosewho are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you. 1 Cor 9:19-23 (NKJV)

The book of Leviticus declares that the people of God are not to tattoo their bodies. How clear is this command? "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord." Lev 19:28 (NKJV) (Before I offend anyone, let me say that this devotional is not about tattoos) Here is the point that I am trying to make. I have a friend who has been called to preach the gospel message to bikers. I'm talking about hardcore bikers. To reach this particular group, he has big, colorful, Christian-message tattoos covering a good portion of his arms. One could make the case that he is literally living out the Apostle Paul's words of "becoming all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."

Not being under the ceremonial Levitical laws, I would not say that I have an issue with tattoos, other than being deathly afraid of needles, or even more afraid of being stuck with some really tacky meaningless art on my body that I end up regretting later. On the other hand, what would I be willing to do to reach a group of people that God called me to reach? Would I be willing to move to a remote part of Africa? Would I be willing to learn a different language--study up on my Apologetics--serve in a soup kitchen--share my testimony with strangers? What price am I willing to pay to save some?

Paul's "whatever-it-takes" attitude made him a very effective evangelist-missionary. He paid a tremendous price to "save some." We are talking being arrested, whipped, beaten, stoned, imprisoned, ship-wrecked, persecuted, and eventually paying the ultimate price of being a martyr. Paul had a personal conviction concerning the sharing of the gospel. In the church today, we often teach people techniques of how to engage the "lost" in personal evangelism. Techniques and methodologies are fine and helpful, but they are no substitute for a personal conviction. The most effective personal evangelism that I have ever observed comes from people who have the personal conviction that they need to win the lost, and they invariably become all things to all men, that they might by all means save some.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, continue to break my heart for those that are lost and dying without You. May I not become complacent or withdraw from the mission to tell people about You. You have made all the difference in my life and I know that You can do the same for them. Use me--use my voice--use my intellect--use my talents--use my gifts--use my testimony and life to save some. May this become a conviction and a passion in my life! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment