Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Ludicrous Conclusion

For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness. Romans 12:3-8 (NKJV)

There may be no other sin that exposes us and makes us look bad in the eyes of others as the sin of pride. Pride is almost impossible to cover-up and it makes "us" look ridiculous! As far as I can tell, pride was the very first recorded sin. It started with the angel Lucifer, who, in a moment of self-deception, decided that he wanted to be God. How far lost in the self-feeding sin of pride was Lucifer to arrive at such a ludicrous conclusion?

The sin of pride is alive and well in our world today. I see it in the mirror looking back at me every day. I see it as the rich, the powerful and the famous lord it over those that do not qualify as elite. It is even in the church. This is what caused the Apostle Paul to exclaim, "For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith." What is Paul trying to say?

That those with the gift to teach should teach, and that those who only think that they have the gift to teach should remain silent. That people should exercise their actual gifts and talents--cognizant of the grace God has given to them. The destructive force of pride can cause us to believe that we are spiritually gifted in ways that others, if we dared ask and listen, could tell us otherwise. God has not called us to be elitists, but He does want us to skillfully serve according to grace He has given to us.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, may I humble myself, so that I'm not walking in pride, believing myself to be something that You have not created me to be. May I walk in the center of Your grace. Doing what You have called and gifted me to do. Do not let me think, believe or act as an elitist, but rather create in me a servant's heart. May I appreciate the edification of others without allowing it to go to my head. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment