Saturday, June 15, 2013

Superheroes


Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother," which is the first commandment with promise: "that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth." And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord. Eph 6:1-4 (NKJV)

Every father has an opportunity to join the ranks of the Superheroes. (I'm serious!) Before you reject this idea, you need to realize that you may not be a Superhero in the eyes of anyone else, but in the eyes of your young children--a loving dad is beloved and revered. As a child I was convinced that my father could do anything. I was also convinced that my dad could beat up your dad!

Dad was the trump card up my sleeve. Dad was my security blanket. Dad was the family provider. Dad was the fountain of wisdom. Dad was my coach and greatest fan. Dad stepped into the gap and protected me when necessary. And finally, Dad was my example in all things important. Ultimately, if I wanted to be a Superhero to my children, all I had to do was follow in the giant wake of my father.

The Bible gives children the instruction to honor and obey their parents. When it comes to your father, this is rather easy to do when you have a Superhero for a dad! You cannot help yourself--His life commands your honor and you obey him without a second thought, because he has earned your trust. Every father has a choice: Act foolishly, provoking your children to wrath; or, train them up in the admonition of the Lord. Training up your children begins and ends with being a father who consistently sets an example of what it means to be a follower of Christ before them. By providing a living example of Christ living in you, every father can join the ranks of the Superheroes!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, thank you for being a loving, caring and patient Father. I also want to thank you for the wonderful earthly father that You provided. My life has been blessed by having a father who lived out his faith in a consistent and obvious fashion. I will forever be grateful! May I be an example of Your character before my children and grand children. Help me press forward in my relationship with You so that all will know that You are my first love. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment