Thursday, June 13, 2013

Weird Stuff

So he went with them. And when they came to the Jordan, they cut down trees. But as one was cutting down a tree, the iron ax head fell into the water; and he cried out and said, "Alas, master! For it was borrowed." So the man of God said, "Where did it fall?" And he showed him the place. So he cut off a stick, and threw it in there; and he made the iron float. Therefore he said, "Pick it up for yourself." So he reached out his hand and took it. 2 Kings 6:4-7 (NKJV)

Author's note: Speaking of weird...this devotional has "out there" written all over it. Read it at your own risk.


As a kid I heard a couple of preachers preach sermons on this minor incident. I cannot recall the point of either sermon, but I still remember the miracle of an ax head floating on the water. Wish I could do that...you know--make an ax head float on the water...it is kind of cool...I could start the "Church of Floating Ax Heads!" That name has a kind of a rustic Rocky Mountain flavor to it. Would you follow me if I could do such a thing? "What...no takers?" Probably a wise choice!

The Bible tells us that different waves of doctrine will flow through the Church, and some well-meaning Christians are always looking to catch the next wave. It might be a genuine move of God's Spirit or it might be a repackaged heresy looking to seduce a new wave of adherents. Let me set the record straight, before someone jumps to the wrong conclusion: "I believe that God can do anything--even weird things. On-the-other-hand; I am not going to base my faith on anything less than an actual relationship with God! MY relationship with God!!"

I would truly be impressed by anyone who could make an ax head float or perform a bona fide miracle; but, I serve the one who actually walked on water and stilled the storm with His voice. Furthermore, I refuse to be a part a " wicked and adulterous generation" chasing signs. Why should I chase after signs when I am a walking miracle of God's grace? And what would be the rationale for chasing after signs and wonders? I thought that signs and wonders followed after those that believe. I may never make ax heads float, but God probably has something (maybe even a sign or a wonder) for me to do...after all, I do believe in Him!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, creator of all that is, miracle worker, savior and King of Glory--blessed be Your name! I do not profess to be a worker of miracles, but I am Your vessel. Please use my life to accomplish whatever it is that fits within Your design, and for whatever brings You pleasure. I know that without You I can do nothing and yet in You, all things are possible. I confess that I am often conflicted--that I believe in You and yet lack the conviction to step out in faith. Fill me with the courage to obey when I hear Your voice telling me to step out of my comfort zone. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment