Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Benefit of Prayer

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints Eph 6:18 (NKJV)

"The Spiritual Disciplines," the title does not sound like a sermon series that most people are going to find compelling. But, perhaps it starts with our upside-down view of the word "discipline."  Often discipline is equated with punishment; however, a discipline (a productive activity that you fit into your daily routine) might be an activity that you thoroughly enjoy. Sometimes people engage in a discipline, because of the side benefits; but, at other times, people engage in a discipline and find that even if there were no side benefits, this activity would remain an indispensable part of their life.


When it comes to the prayer life of a Believer, I would hope that prayer would move into the category of being an indispensable part of one's life. Communion and communication with the Lord has many side benefits, but the greatest benefit is the joy and meaning that comes by being continually and meaningfully connected with the Lord. Let's consider some of the side benefits: Our prayers change us. Our prayers change situations. Our prayers help us hear God. Our prayers help us build the Kingdom of God. Our prayers fortify and build up the spiritual man. Our prayers touch the heart of our Father. Our prayers chase away the powers of darkness. Our prayers are incredible spiritual weapons... You get the picture!

Let me tell you why my prayer closet is so important to me, and such an indispensable part of my life: When I commune with God I am filled with a peace that passes understanding. I call it a deep-seeded sense of well-being--a belief that all things will work out for my good. This keeps me emotionally stable in the midst of a crazy world. When I commune with God I am filled with creativity. I am able to think deeper and more critically. I am also filled with "Spirit Inspired" ideas and dreams which serve as powerful motivating force. Lastly, prayer puts me on the same page where God dwells, allowing me to leave my preconceived plans and to follow where God is leading in the moment. It all adds up to this opinion: "The Spiritual Discipline of Prayer is Priceless!"

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, what a privilege I have in talking to You. The fact that I get to commune with the Creator of all that is--is mind boggling. You know that You are my Rock, my dearest friend, my endless source of encouragement and strength. I pray that spending time with You would be the highest priority of every day. Continue to speak to me--to guide me--to inspire me--and to use me to walk in the very best of what You have prepared for me. Amen"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. Great devo. Reminds me of Daniel Henderson's book "Fresh Encounters" and his call for our prayer time to NOT be telling God what we need Him to do for us but to be worship and Word based times of prayer...seeking his face not his hand.
    "The man who mobilized the Christian church to prayer will make the greatest contribution to world evangelization in history." Andrew Murray
    "I would rather teach one man to pray than ten men to preach." Charles Spurgeon
    thanks, again, Gino

    ReplyDelete