Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lifter of My Head

But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head. I cried to the Lord with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill. Psalms 3:3-4 (NKJV)

In his epic poem, "The Rainy Day," Henry Wadsworth Longfellow beautifully speaks of an experience that all people have in common: "Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; behind the clouds is the sun still shining; thy fate is the common fate of all, into each life some rain must fall, Some days must be dark and dreary." Now let me plainly state what our poet artfully expressed: Everyone who spends anytime on our small little enterprise called "earth" will suffer some. I would go so far as to venture that if you survived your time in Jr. High there is a high probability that you are in need of some sort of therapy.


King David had experienced more that a "little rain" in his life. His son, Absalom, was leading a coup to overthrow David's rule and was trying to kill David in the process. His son was trying to kill him...talk about dark and dreary days. David was beside himself with grief and despair. Is it possible to face circumstances that are more painful than death? Could the depth of a tragedy twist and tear at the heart with such emotional tenacity that death would be welcomed? Could the weight of the burden simply be too great to bear?

Christians are not exempt from such trauma. We experience life with all of its twists and turns. However, we are never alone... God, the lifter of our head is with us. God, our shelter in times of trouble is with us. God, the source of our hope is with us. I have personally found the Holy Spirit to be a great comfort in those times when my life seems to be under siege. My talk therapy generally includes a long walk where I commune with God. There is always a bit of venting, talking, praying, listening, and finally, receiving the gift of "peace that passes all understanding." Indeed, God is the lifter of my head!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I am surrounded by a hostile world--a world that is not my home. Sometimes I suffer, because of my own actions; and then there are those times when I suffer for no apparent reason. In all of my circumstances, both good and bad, I need You. 'Thou O Lord, art a shield about me, You're my glory and the lifter of head.' Next time a storm blows into my life, please remind me that You are there--You are my sun behind the clouds. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment