Friday, June 21, 2013

Passion

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prizeis temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. 1 Cor 9:24-27 (NKJV)

I watched my favorite team in all of sports lose. I felt the pain as the time ran out and "my" team was on the wrong side of the equation. I couldn't bring myself to the point of praying for my team--but, I was sorely tempted to do so. You see--when it comes to the teams that I consider "my" teams--I'm rather passionate about it all. I am a loyal die-hard super-fan...although I draw the line at painting my face in team colors.

In light of eternity, how important was the defeat of my team? It doesn't even make for a good bump in the road. Oh sure, sports writers will be writing about it for a day or so, and then the historic importance of the game will fade into obscurity as it should. Maybe, just maybe my passion is misplaced. Perhaps there are more important things in life that I should be more concerned about...you think?? In the heat of the game, I glanced over at my daughter and grand daughter and it helped calm the super-fan and put life back into perspective.

So, what is important to me? To what have I attached my deepest loyalties and feelings of passion? It starts with my relationship with God. When you get right down to it, there is only one race that really counts. Only one race that I need to win. One race that needs to remain the center of my focus. I need to passionately pursue the prize and intentionally do whatever it takes to win. I need to become a super-fan of Jesus!

Prayer: "Our Father, which art in heaven, blessed and mighty is Your name. In my life and in my home and in my church I pray that Your Kingdom would come and that Your will would be done in those places, just as it is in heaven. Thank you for Your daily provision and the blessings that are too numerous to count. Help me to forgive more and to judge less. Reveal the snares of the enemy and help me to see through his lies. Yours is the Kingdom, the power and the glory forevermore! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment