Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Compassions that Fail Not

This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!" The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly For the salvation of the Lord. Lam 3:21-26 (NKJV)

As I watch my grandchildren, I am impressed by their irrepressible energy and the consistency by which they push the limits of acceptable behavior. It is as if they delight in putting the patience of their mother on trial. It is as if they are testing the depths and limits of a grandfather's love. It is as if boundaries are only established so that they can be crossed. Little do they know that our love for them, as parents and grandparents, runs deeper than they will comprehend until the shoe is on the other foot.

I am convinced that our behavior--OK, make it my behavior presents the same kind of challenge for God. I push the limits--cross the boundaries--try the patience--and have done so since I was born into this world. I get tired of me...so, how can God still persist when even I am ready to throw in the towel on myself? I venture to say, "God loves me more than I love myself!"

Solomon, the wisest man that ever lived was a fool. He was a fool because he turned away from God and practiced the mischief and folly that he warned others against. He was a bitter old man, and yet, in the midst of his darkness he saw a flickering light of hope. In the middle of his lamentations he grasped a nugget of truth. "His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness." Please hear me: God is not going to give up on you. His love will persist as surely as the Sun is going to shine.

Prayer: "Dear loving Father, great is Your faithfulness--great is Your love--great is Your mercy--great is Your patience--great is Your empathy for Your children. Please hear my prayer and my petition. Help me to live life with more wisdom. Help me to walk in a way that is more pleasing to You and of more benefit to me. In my freedom may I make You my first love and build Your Kingdom with passion! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment