Sunday, June 9, 2013

Anger

Therefore, putting away lying, "Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor," for we are members of one another. "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. Eph 4:25-27 (NKJV)

I was angry last night. I felt let down--betrayed--weary--ready to throw in the towel--then, ready to fight--persecuted--attacked--and...angry. I did not let it show. I kept a pretty good lid on what I said, but a weakness in my personality was having a pity-party and causing my brain to drift into dangerous territory. It messed with my sleep--which is already difficult for me--and so I woke up with the same set of circumstances, only now I am also extremely tired.


I am by nature a slow burner. It generally takes a lot of nonsense, over a long period of time, to fan the flames of my anger. The pressure builds as I focus on the facts--how those facts impact me--and how I feel that others have somehow let me down. Did you notice that "I" am the focus here? Is life really all about me? Let us hope not!!! Here is the question that I need to grapple with: "In my anger, how can I avoid falling into sin, and making a difficult situation even worse?"

Here are a few of my thoughts:


  • I need to pray and make sure that my heart is "right with God!"
  • I need to pro-actively do whatever I can do to defuse the situation with other parties involved.
  • I need to grow a thicker hide and not be so self-absorbed.
  • I need to humble myself and learn from this situation.
  • I need to return good for evil and make sure that I stay on God's side of the ledger.
It will not be easy...but, it is actually easier than carrying anger around with me and letting that anger corrupt my mind and heart!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, as always, I find myself running to You in my time of need. I run to You, because everything else is sinking sand. You have put a solid family and friends around me--but, You are my ultimate place of security. I know that I will always have interactions with difficult people--people that You want to use me to touch with Your love. Lord, help me to keep my eyes riveted on You. You are my Rock! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment