Monday, June 10, 2013

Ambition

Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Phil 2:1-4 (NKJV)

If you look up the word "ambition" in a dictionary, it will give you a definition that reads something like this: "An earnest desire for some type of achievement or distinction, as power, honor, fame, or wealth, and the willingness to strive for its attainment." Generally speaking, the objective of ambition is to gain recognition for ourselves. This can even be true for those involved in the work of the ministry. The driving force behind the effort might be a shallow, self-centered ambition...but, it does not have to be that way!

Let me suggest to you that the dictionary definition is incomplete in that it leaves out the idea of an "ambition" that has a completely different motivating force behind it. It is possible to be highly motivated to work for a cause without being motivated by selfish ambition. The Apostle Paul, speaking to Believers, called us to engage in spiritual activity; he went on to say that as we engage in such activity to, "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit."

So, in the words of a generic method actor: "What is my motivation?" If the objective of my accomplishments has nothing to do with me gaining recognition--what then compels me to give of myself, my resources, my time, my talent, my effort? The answer is obvious and yet so hard to grasp: "Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it for the glory of God." Let us pray that God would give us an earnest desire to achieve great things that build the Kingdom of God and bring glory to His Name!

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I have often been driven to seek the approval of others. My motivation has often been that of selfish ambition--to hear the praise of others--to bask in the light of personal accolades... Forgive my duplicitous heart. I may never rid myself of vain conceit, but I do not have to embrace it or like that it is present in my flesh. May I avoid grabbing for the glory that belongs to You. And in all that I accomplish, may I give you the glory for making it possible. May my love for You be my motivation! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment