Monday, June 17, 2013

The Pledge

Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. Psalms 1:1-2 (NKJV)

I attended a Christian college. In order to be accepted into said college, each student was required to sign a card pertaining to personal conduct. In signing the card we were giving our pledge not to engage in a number of activities that were considered taboo by the denomination that the college was affiliated with. We pledged not to drink alcohol, go out dancing, go to movies (including Disney), or sleep around. I kept the rules until a spring break that I spent with Jody. Do not get the wrong idea, I was in my Senior year and Jody and I were married; but Jody's brother invited us out to a movie. I did not want to offend my new brother-in-law, so Jody and I went and saw "Where the Red Fern Grows." (A G-rated movie--do they actually make G-rated movies any longer? Television is not even G-rated!)

I had many college school-mates who either railed against the conduct restrictions or freely violated their pledge without any reservations. Ultimately, I violated my pledge, although, technically, I was on vacation--hundreds of miles from campus--visiting my wife's family for the first time in our new marriage. But, it still bothered me. My personal integrity was at stake. To be honest--I never railed against the rules and made an effort to keep them. Although I am not a legalist, to this day--I avoid alcohol and drugs--I only dance with my wife at weddings (or my daughter, when she got married)--I am very careful about the movies that I watch, and I do not sleep around. (Which suits my wife!)

It's not that I'm perfect, or consider myself particularly righteous--beyond the imputed righteousness of Christ. Here is the bottom-line: I'm simply not interested in what the world has to offer. I'm not impressed by the counsel of the ungodly--nor am I interested in seeing how close I can dance to the fires of this world without getting singed. I delight in living right--with holding on to personal integrity--having a clean conscience--walking in God's light. I have also found out that the best of what life has to offer is endorsed and propagated by God's wisdom. In the words of Michael W. Smith--"All you're missing is a heartbreak, disillusioned for a keepsake..."

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, the Psalmist believed that one day living in Your purposes was better than thousands of days elsewhere. May I grasp the beauty and the blessings that are the fruit of a life lived for You, and may I be wise enough to avoid the vanity and the destruction of a life lived according to the council of the ungodly. Your Word--Your truths--Your ways--Your call is the light that leads me through the darkness of this world. Blessed be the name of the Lord! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment