Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Remnant

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chron 7:14 (NKJV)

God was obviously poised and ready to judge Sodom and Gomorrah when Abraham asked, "Lord, if there are five righteous people will you spare the cities?" And God said, "Yes," to Abraham. Sodom and Gomorrah would have been spared by God's grace, because of five righteous people. (Count it--5 people would have made the difference) This is in keeping with Peter's declaration concerning God's heart. "God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9.
 
This tells me that God is serious when He calls upon His people to humble themselves, pray, seek His face and repent--because, we do have an effect on the outcome. How many righteous people will it take for God to withhold His judgment upon our nation? Although we want people to be converted to Christ, a small remnant of people committed to God could be the difference between judgment and blessing.

If there is one thing that I have observed in my lifetime, it is the fact that righteousness cannot be legislated. Laws do modify some behavior, but do not change the intent of the heart. Therefore, we cannot expect righteous behavior from unrighteous people. If there is to be a national spiritual awakening--it will begin and end with God's people getting serious about pursuing God. We do have this promise--we can make a difference if we turn our hearts to God . God will forgive and cleanse us of our sin and heal our land.

Prayer: "Dear Father in heaven, thank you for Your patience with me--with Your church and with our nation. Based on our behavior, Your judgment should have already fallen on us and yet You continue to tarry. If possible, I pray that you would raise up a remnant of people in our nation that would make a difference, and please know that I want to be a part of that remnant. Create in me a clean heart. Create in me a helpful vessel. Create in me a person who loves you, my neighbors and even my enemies. Blessed be the Name of the Lord!" Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment