Friday, November 2, 2012

Getting It Right

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (NKJV)

I was teaching a course on hermeneutics (a fancy word for the rules governing Bible interpretation), and I stressed the following point.  If you are a Bible teacher and you twist or manipulate a passage of scripture, whether by intent or through ignorance, you are no longer teaching God's truths.   People are not enlightened by a manipulation of the Bible, they are enlightened by teachers that "get it right!"  

The Apostle Paul gave his young  protégé Timothy some great advice.  "Pay close attention to your doctrine, for it will save you and those who listen to you."  With all the different winds of doctrine that seem to blow through the church, and all the differing views of the Bible is actually saying; how can we rightly divide the word of truth?

Let me give you a few practical ideas:
  1. Apply the "Golden Rule" of Bible interpretation: "When common sense makes perfect sense seek no other sense."
  2. Make your Bible study times Bible-Centric.  Spend more time reading and thinking about the Bible, and less time reading another person's opinion about the Bible.
  3. Stop reading sensational books written about spiritual things from people without theological credentials.  (This is how cult groups get started)
  4. Apply the principles and commands from the Bible that you clearly understand and do not spend a lot of time trying to read between the lines. 

You may not know all that you want to know about God's Word today; however, if you study and read the Bible on a regular basis, you cannot even begin to imagine how much spiritual knowledge you are going to accumulate over the years.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I know that your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  Its truths need to be my truths and its wisdom, my wisdom.  Create in me a new hunger for Your Word.  May I desire to read it, to study it, to meditate upon it, so, that I might be a worker in Your Kingdom that does not need to be ashamed.  Lord, help me to apply your Word to my life this day and may my obedience bring You joy."  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment