Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Great Sponge

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. Phil 4:8 (NKJV)

The human brain is a great sponge.  It works like osmosis, with our brain absorbing and storing whatever data and information it happens to make contact with.  If you have any doubt about it--try not to think about the sights and sounds of a thunder storm.  Try not to see the lightning or hear the thunder.  Just a simple suggestion sets the great sponge into action.

The Apostle Paul set a high standard for the "things" that should have access to our brain.  In a practical sense this means that you must screen the books that you read, the magazines that you subscribe to, the television programming that you watch and the movies that you attend.  In terms of the internet--it is a loaded gun...  Be very careful of the places you visit, the pictures that you view and the data that you input into your brain.

Always ask the question--"Does what I'm viewing meet the standard of whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtuous or praiseworthy?"  Goodness, that does eliminates a lot of possibilities; however, my brain will serve God's purposes more effectively if I eliminate those things that are not profitable and fill my brain with the things that are.  This is not a new legalism, because "you" are your own censor.  Choose wisely, "Grasshopper."  (Now you are seeing a grasshopper...and it's green)


Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, blessed be Your name!  The depth of my sin is only further proof of Your amazing grace, and the weakness of my flesh is only further proof of how much I need You in my life.  Please guide my thoughts, and when my mind strays into those places where it has no business being, bring it to my attention so that I can refocus my thoughts on You.  Lead me to think on Your Word--Your Goodness--and on all those things that are praiseworthy."  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment