Friday, November 2, 2012

Faithfulness

You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Tim 2:1-2 (NKJV)

When a person has the reputation of being faithful, it means that they are the kind of person that other people trust.  Think of the various synonyms that further describe this character trait: "Dependable, dedicated, trustworthy, loyal, steadfast, reliable, responsible, accountable, resolute, determined..."  It is no wonder that the Apostle Paul advised Timothy (a young pastor) to entrust the ministry to those that were faithful.

There is no easy way to ask the following question--no way to soften the blow--no way to get around this fundamental qualification that says so much about your character:  "Are you a faithful person?"  Before you throw in the towel consider this second, even more important question: "Do you aspire to be a faithful person?"  If you desire this good character trait, with God's divine help (grace), you can become a person who is faithful.   

Notice that Paul did not advise Timothy to entrust the ministry to people who happened to be talented, spiritually gifted, or any other criteria other than the character trait of faithfulness.  The ministry thrives and God's Kingdom expands under the steady work of those that are faithful.  You can be a part of God's plan to minister His grace...there is only one requirement: Faithfulness!

Prayer: "Faithful Father, thank you for being good; that there is no shadow of turning in You.  You are trustworthy, the One that I can always count on.  In the words of the Psalmist, You are my rock, my shield, my fortress, my strong tower and my deliverer.  Please hear my cry: I want to be a faithful servant in Your Kingdom.  Build this character trait in me--may I build a reputation of faithfulness as I serve Your purposes.  Start this work today!"  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment