Wednesday, November 14, 2012

How Much More...

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"  Matt 7:7-11 (NKJV)

Not everybody grows up with good parents who love them. That is a fact that is hard for me to understand, because my parents consistently demonstrated tremendous love, and in turn I felt and still feel overwhelmed by love for my own children. As a parent, I absolutely want whatever is best for my children. I look out for them--I pray for them--I cheer for them--I have sacrificed for them. Jesus indicated that if I, as a human father, know how to be a good father, how much more will God exceed my best efforts as our heavenly Father!

When I was 14 years old, my brother and I were having a contest skipping rocks across Granite Creek. My brother, who is a few years younger than I am, had a champion rock that must have skipped 20 times as it cut across the top of the water. As the "big" brother I needed to once again establish my place in the pecking order of life; so, I found a perfect, big, flat rock and put every bit of energy into throwing it. The rock flew about 15 feet before it came to an abrupt stop as it hit my father in the back--right about where the left kidney is located. It hit him so hard that it knocked him off his feet. He groaned...and slowly rose to his feet...turning to find the culprit. So, many things he could have said in that moment. He looked me in the eye and said, "Son, next time you need to be more careful." Those were the last words he ever spoke on that subject.

The point is this: My dad was a really great dad, but there is even better news... Our heavenly Father is the best father anyone could ever have. You may have been a very difficult, if not an impossible child for God; but, in spite of your worst antics God's love, mercy and grace remain.

Prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, thank you for loving me; especially in those times when my behavior does not merit Your love. I am often reminded of Your grace as I stumble and fall and still find myself being received with patience and mercy. You are a good God and a great Father. I pray that I would be more like You in the way that I respond to people. May I treat others with love, grace, mercy and patience." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment